Dr. Meyer’s Biography
Wellscape Direct MD aims not only to treat and manage illnesses, but also to partner with patients to optimize health & well-being.
Although I was born and raised in the greater metropolis area of Chicago, my family maintained a small farm, which provided an amazing extra-curricular education. I learned to appreciate organic whole foods (and the work it took to produce and harvest them!), the flow and impact of the cycles of nature, and the wonders of the outdoors. I went on to earn a BA degree in Psychology from Earlham College (IN), a Quaker-based school that fostered my belief in treating others as equals, my commitment to social justice, and my desire to serve.
After spending some years in the workforce, traveling, and pursuing passions in Chinese Martial Arts and Medicine, I followed my childhood dream into medicine. I graduated from UMass Medical School in 1999, and completed training at Lawrence Family Medicine Residency, a program committed to providing care to underserved populations. That was the start of a broad base of experience throughout my career, which included a community health center; a small, private practice in a Boston suburb; and lastly, a larger, national organization in the heart of Boston.
Regardless of the setting in which I practiced, I sought to provide that “old-fashioned” patient-doctor relationship - one that is based on genuine caring, mutual respect, and mindful listening. I enjoy working with patients as collaborative partners to create individualized treatment plans and healthier lifestyle strategies. My early experiences with complementary therapies reinforced a holistic and integrative approach, including recognizing the potential value of “alternative” medical theories and treatments.
In keeping with this vision of primary care, I opened Wellscape Direct MD, my own Direct Primary Care practice, in downtown Boston in 2015. Goals at Wellscape Direct MD include not only treating and managing illnesses, but also partnering to optimize health and well-being.
I’m happy to share more information about my background, approach and Wellscape Direct MD, so please feel free to contact me!
- 2004-2005 Harvard Medical School Structural Acupuncture for Physicians: Certificate of Medical Acupuncture
- 2002-2003 New England School of Acupuncture: Coursework in Acupuncture and Chinese Medicine
- 1999-2002 Lawrence Family Medicine Residency: Certificate of Completion of Accredited Residency Program
- 1995-1999 University of Massachusetts Medical School: Doctor of Medicine (MD)
- 1991-1992 Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health: Graduate coursework in Public Health
- 1981-1985 Earlham College (IN): Bachelors of Arts (BA) Degree in Psychology
- 2015 to current: opened Wellscape Direct MD, my own Direct Primary Care practice in downtown Boston, MA.
- 2013-2014: Primary Care Physician at One Medical Group in Boston, MA, a national primary care organization aiming to provide high-quality, affordable primary care services utilizing an innovative model.
- 2004-2012: Clinical Medical Director and Primary Care Physician at Arlington Family Practice, a small, private practice in Arlington, MA, providing patient- and family-centered primary care, wellness, and acute services to children, adult, and elderly.
- 2002-2003: Primary Care Physician at Greater Lawrence Family Health Center, a Community Health Center located in Lawrence, MA, serving an underserved patient population by providing comprehensive health care, including obstetrics.
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIP AND AWARDS
- American Board of Family Medicine Diplomate, Certified in 2002, Re-Certified 2009
- Member of: Massachusetts Medical Society, American Academy of Family Physicians, American Academy of Medical Acupuncture
- 2018 ThreeBestRated: Primary Care Physicians in Boston, MA
- 2012-2014, 2016 Patient's Choice Award from Vitals
- 2012-2014 Compassionate Doctor Recognition from Vitals
- 2014, 2016 On-Time Doctor Recognition from Vitals